life is

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Write Away

I am reading a very interesting book titled, Your Life as Story,by Tristine Rainier.http://www.amazon.com/Your-Life-Story-Tristine-Rainer/dp/0874779227 I may end up not finishing it as I thought it was about journal writing in a literary style. Now I am thinking it is more about writing memoir but nevertheless, it is interesting, She writes, "We must create and find our own stories, our own myths, with symbols that bind us to the world as we see it today." One tool to do this consists of writing a personal fairytale-not rewriting one already told but making an entirely fresh one with oneself as the main character. The rules are: to write in the third person; have a beginning, middle and end; feature a problem that will be surmounted so that the main character changes in some way. Oh, and also it needs to be short-one to two pages.
Easy enough except that it isn't. My first try  was a boring list of vignettes filled with preachy aphorisms. Yech! My second try was better as I went with the fairytale aspect and created a fictional yet true story. It is more than two pages long but then I wrote it long hand in a 9"x 6" journally book so who knows how long it is typed. I will share it in my next blog but I sprained my left hand today. It is now wrapped in an Ace bandage so typing is tiresome at best. In the meantime why not try your hand at writing your own personal fairytale? It is fun and ever so illuminating but I mustn't give anything away. Write away!
ps: Turns out it wasn't just typing it but rewriting it, of course! So that makes the third try--three times the charm!

No comments: