life is

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Trans Verse

Trans Verse is my new name for therapeutic poems that lead to insight and/or relief. Well, a trans verse is one poem but as a group or concept they would be transversity. Don't you just love it! The word transverse means to extend across. Transvert means to cause to extend across but to me trans verse is using verse to transform one's perceptions and feelings.
The problem with my own trans verse is that it has led to some personal trauma. When we dive deep into the psyche and start mucking with ancient scripts and progroms we may stir up more than what we anticipated. Here I am saying we when of course, I mean me.
I have been struggling with an existential crisis which I do from time to time much to my own chagrin. So this last week I have been dealing with ancient fears which then causes me great anxiety but this is why I am therapist. I am able to journey deep into the machinations of the mind, into those chasms peopled with specters and phantoms that terrorize. I learn much in these journeys that is then helpful with the people I treat. It is also helpful to me, once I am on solid ground again. I better understand why I do what I do. I am then better able to proceed with my own creative goals with greater clarity and purpose. It all wears me out though. My little brain feels like it has been through the wringer so I am being extra kind to my soul.
Trans verse leads one to cross from the conscious mind into the arroyo of the subconscious and sometimes all the way into the unconscious which might sound more fun than it really is.
I think an interesting next step would be to come up with ways to teach others how to use trans verse. I have already begun with some of my clients because I know I will be there to help them fight any monsters that might emerge but I am thinking that there might be a tamer, less intense way to use trans verse, too. I say this because I do not think everyone wants to confront the ghosts of the nursery. I think most people just want to be happier. Actually, that is all I wanted, too. Oh, well, that is why I am a therapist.

No comments: