life is

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Where Are the Velveteen Rabbits?

"To be creative and magical and to have fun in all parts of my life and especially in giving life to velveteen rabbits (the metaphor I give to my creations). To do this is to brighten my soul's light, growing my soul on earth to more glorify and know God"My new story is to have fun as I take steps, to enjoy the steps and not to be afraid of them. For the steps to be fun they have to grow organically out of the rest of my life. They need to mostly reflect the creative and magical qualities I value. In this way I will create my small business creatively and magically."

Remember this declaration when I first began this blog? I do and that is why that even though this blog is called Creativity Run Amok it may seem to be about everything except for creativity- that is because I have been working in the garden of my life, mucking around in the compost because as I say above- for the steps to be fun they have to grow organically out of the rest of my life. But the garden has grown too quiet with all the velveteen rabbits hiding? Where are they?

Sometimes I have to go find the velveteen rabbits. Other times they clamor to be fed or run around riotously. But lately they have been hiding. I have been worried about them. Are they dead? Do they not like me anymore? Or have I been so neglectful they do not trust me?

I looked last night and found a rabbit cowering in my Word Document file. This rabbit is called Turtle Bones and is a short story that has its good points but is too removed and abstract to be as entertaining as it has potential to be. So I cuddled it, fed it and plan to continue doing so today. I am hopeful we will be good friends again soon.

I have found that I am at times compulsive about creating- that I have made things and written stories and poems out of some desperate attempt to validate my life. That place as it is full of pressure and recriminations yet productive. I want to have the joy I had as a child taking my stenographer's notebook to Central Park in Chanute, Kansas. I think when velveteen rabbits are asked to join me in joy they may not be so hesitant. However, this takes jump starting. I can't wait for the joy but begin creating and the joy will come. Yes?

No comments: